Please review our Frequently Asked Questions prior to submitting your feedback. If the answers below do not address your question, you may submit your feedback here.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much do ALOT products cost?
- What is ALOT?
- What different products do you offer?
- How do I customize my product?
- How do I register and save my customized ALOT product?
- How do I know ALOT products are safe?
- What are the system requirements for ALOT products?
- Do you support Apple Mac computers?
- How can I uninstall the ALOT Homepage or other ALOT products?
- What are ALOT's privacy policies and practices?
- I use Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm, or similar firewall/proxy software and am having trouble downloading ALOT products. What should I do?
- What are these weird Security Alerts? Why am I getting a message that says "Warning!!! Your computer contains various signs of viruses" or "Your computer is infected!"?
- What if I've got more questions I need answered?
Nothing, all of our products are 100% free to install and use. We earn revenue through advertising partnerships, allowing us to offer our products free to our consumers.
ALOT is a place where you can discover and download apps for your PC. All of our apps are free to download and use, so why not join in the fun today?
More than 10 million people around the world use ALOT apps to make their online lives more convenient and fun. Whether you’re looking to stay ahead of the weather, play games, keep up with your friends on social networks, listen to music, or find great shopping deals, ALOT apps have it covered.
ALOT apps are displayed in our free ALOT Appbar, a neat piece of software that sits in your web browser and keeps all your favorite content constantly within reach. ALOT products are certified by both TRUSTe and McAfee to help give you peace of mind - all the good stuff from across the Internet, none of the bad!
We also offer an ALOT Toolbar and ALOT Home product.
We currently offer three great different products:
This is the new and improved version of the ALOT Toolbar. Currently only available in certain verticals, the ALOT Appbar is an exciting addition to your web browser. You can customize your ALOT Appbar by choosing from a range of different apps. You can even pick the color scheme you want to make your ALOT Appbar fit with your online life. As with the ALOT Toolbar, the ALOT Appbar includes a Google powered search box giving you direct access to the rest of the web.
ALOT Toolbar sits directly in your web browser so it’s accessible no matter what website you’re on. You can add buttons to your ALOT Toolbar to make it completely relevant to you. ALOT Toolbar also includes a Google powered search box, giving you a quick and easy gateway to the rest of the web.
ALOT Home is a search portal that gives you direct access to the rest of the web powered by Google.
- ALOT Appbar
Customizing your ALOT product is a quick, easy and rewarding process.
- ALOT Appbar: click the yellow ’Add App’ button which you’ll find on the right hand side of your ALOT Appbar.
- ALOT Toolbar: have a look on the right hand side of the search box - if there’s a little wrench icon, simply click that and you can start customizing. If you don’t have a wrench icon, you’ll need to click the ALOT logo on the left hand side of your Toolbar and select ‘Customize Toolbar’ from the drop down list.
We are currently only offering saving customizations and personal settings for our Toolbar product.
- ALOT Toolbar: Registering enables you to create and save your customized toolbars. There’s no limit to the number of toolbars you can create and save.
To register just pick a username and password and enter your email address. You can register at: http://account.alot.com/create
Please note: registering does not create an @alot.com email account. Please do not enter that in as your email address. Registration allows you to save your configurations and the buttons you've added to your toolbar, it does not create an email account for you.
We currently support Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 operating systems.
We currently support Internet Explorer (versions 7, 8 and 9) as well as Firefox (versions 4 and above).
We do not support Apple products. We love Macs but just don't have enough people to support the OS X operating system as we're a small, but growing company.
Uninstalling will take less than a minute to do, simply follow the links below. If you want to set your home page back to what it was previously, please click here. We're sorry to see you go! Please fill out the survey after the uninstall process so that we can improve our product in the future!
I use Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm, or similar firewall/proxy software and am having trouble downloading ALOT products. What should I do?
Sorry to hear you’re having problems. We would suggest you temporarily disable your firewall/proxy software and try the download again. Don’t forget to reactivate your firewall/proxy software once you have downloaded your ALOT product.
What are these weird Security Alerts? Why am I getting a message that says "Warning!!! Your computer contains various signs of viruses" or "Your computer is infected!"?
These messages are fraudulent ads that malicious individuals purchase on ad networks. ALOT, like many other sites, displays banner ads on our site from advertising networks. Despite our best efforts, these ads can end up at ALOT.com. We apologize for this and are doing everything we can to prevent these misleading messages from reaching our customers.
Please see this article by the FTC:
According to the FTC, when you see fake security alerts you should:
"If you’re faced with any of the warning signs of a scareware scam or suspect a problem, shut down your browser. Don’t click 'No' or 'Cancel,' or even the 'x' at the top right corner of the screen. Some scareware is designed so that any of those buttons can activate the program. If you use Windows, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open your Task Manager, and click 'End Task.' If you use a Mac, press Command + Option + Q + Esc to 'Force Quit.'"
Our efforts to prevent this include:
- Working with the FTC
- Contacting law authorities to prosecute the individuals responsible for these ads
- Investigating the latest technologies available to prevent this sort of fraud
- Contacting our ad network partners and informing them we will only work with networks that police their advertisers and prevent these sorts of ads
- Reporting the abuse to the companies that host the web pages where these fraudulent ads are hosted
ALOT strongly recommends you run anti-virus software from a reputable software vendor like McAfee (http://www.mcafee.com), Symantec (http://www.symantec.com), or Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx).
More information can be found here: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/onlinesecuritylawyers.com/postid/?p=3501546